> Oops, sorry I forgot to mention that I also have 'language-support-hi'
> which all hindi language support language packages with it. Try
> installing that and then try ooffice in that terminal (with
> . /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-bridge and appropriate enviroment
> variables exported).

I installed openoffice 3.0 beta, used scim-bridge and environment
variables as you suggested.

And it worked!!

I suspected all along that the problem was with openoffice
installation.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

I will now put my mind to understand what you are doing with these
environment variables, and what is the most suitable setup for me.

Vikas