    Vikas> Perhaps one problem in my setup was that skim was also installed. I
    Vikas> have not removed it. The output of your commands now is as
    Vikas> follows.

abbe [~] chateau $ dpkg -l |awk '/(s(c|k)im|m17n)/ && ! /uim/ { print $2 }'
libm17n-0
libm17n-dev
libscim8c2a
libskim0
m17n-db
scim
scim-bridge-agent
scim-bridge-client-gtk
scim-bridge-client-qt
scim-gtk2-immodule
scim-modules-socket
scim-modules-table
scim-qtimm
scim-tables-additional
skim

    Vikas> ****************
    Vikas> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ . /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-bridge
    Vikas> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ export XIM XIM_PROGRAM GTK_IM_MODULE XIM_ARGS
QT_IM_MODULE DEPENDS
    Vikas> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~$ scim &

You don't need to launch scim manually, that'll get launched by the
app, with the help of environment variables. Try running 'gedit' in
above terminal instead of scim.

Are you able to type in gedit ?

[snipped]

    Vikas> Note that when I load scim like this, I am unable to change languages
    Vikas> even for the terminal from where it was launched. Right clicking the
    Vikas> system icon does not work at all.

Well that is because, when you launch manually, scim is not
responsible for any text window, so thats why it is not display any
language menu.

    Vikas> If, however, I launch scim without your commands, I can change the
    Vikas> language and use it in the terminal and applications like gedit.

In above case scim is activated for the text window in gedit and other
apps, thats why you're getting menus.

HTH
- --
Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल                      http://wahjava.wordpress.com/