On 03-Jul-08, at 8:57 AM, Goldwyn Rodrigues wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Arun Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Thursday 03 Jul 2008, Goldwyn Rodrigues wrote:
>>
>>> Kolkata AFAIK, is listed because Calcutta Standard Time during the
>>> British Raj was GMT+5:30. This has been abolished after unification
>>> of India.
>>
>> British raj was over in 1947.  How did Calcutta show up in Linux time
>> zone data?
>
> Legacy perhaps. I am not sure of this.

when the British created New Delhi and shifted the capital there,
they did not shift all the functions to the new capital. Some were
left at the old capital, some were left in the other Provincial
capitals like Bombay and Madras. India recognises that it is not
essential that all National Institutes be in the political capital -
we have a financial capital which houses the hq of the Reserve Bank
etc etc - so just think of Kol as the timezone capital of India and
move on.

ps - I posted a dissenting mail to the timezone list

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves
Associate, NRC-FOSS