On Tuesday 05 Aug 2008, Gora Mohanty wrote:

> How do the unethical spammers like Orkut (yes, this includes *you*,
> Google Search) manage this in the USA? Isn't this illegal under the
> CAN-SPAM act (never heard of a law that was better named).

I am guessing, in the fine print, alongside the I agree button, the user
consents to such activity.  The offender can claim, the user gave
access to his/her address book voluntarily (by readily coughing up
userid/password during the sign up process).  From what I have observed
the SPAM comes only once as an invite to join the <bleh> service; it is
a thin line between legit and SPAM.

--
Arun Khan