On Tuesday 05 Aug 2008, मयंक जैन (makuchaku) wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 3:24 PM, Arun Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 Aug 2008, abhishek jain wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > > I would have donated  for the ammunition, but i think it is a
> > > mistake. Was it?
> >
> > Such spams occur when users (Gora used a better word) sign up for
> > services and readily reveal their Gmail, Yahoo!, Hotmail
> > userids/passwords during the sign up process.
>
> Just curious..
> How can a mail originating from "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
> get to the list?
> If I am not wrong, the email needs to be part of the list before it
> can post a message to the list?

This is my high level understanding of how SMTP works:

1. The sending MTA packs your message (headers and contents) into an
envelope (similar to what we do in snail mail) with a To and From
header.

2. The receiving MTA opens the envelope and delivers the content to our
mailbox.  The headers and such that we see, are part of the message and
not the envelope.  The envelope is discarded.

<http://www.freesoft.org/CIE/RFC/1123/86.htm>

The rogue senders are most likely populating the From header in the
envelope properly and such it is accepted by the mailing list.

-- Arun Khan

--
Arun Khan