On Tue, 2003-03-11 at 11:41, Mark Keasling wrote:
> > But you didn't say 'MUST' in capitals :)
>
> Okay, I've had to dig out RFC2060 and thumb through it.
> Here is the relevant text...
>
>             ...  A server MUST send mailbox size updates automatically
>    if a mailbox size change is observed during the processing of a
>    command.  A server SHOULD send message flag updates automatically,
>    without requiring the client to request such updates explicitly.

Well, if I _really_ wanted to assume stupidity or malice on the part of
the server author -- and often it's useful for clients to do exactly
that -- I'd point out that the latter is only a 'SHOULD' and the former
although 'MUST' is predicated on the server actually _observing_ a
change, not on the mere fact that there _is_ a change.

But in practice I suppose I can't see anyone claiming "But we didn't
check for the change hence we didn't observe it" as an excuse, so it
does come very close to being the 'MUST' which I was after, and which
I'd missed. Thanks for pointing it out.

> A server which fails to notify the client of new mail isn't exactly
> useful IMHO.

True.

--
dwmw2