I would also like to point you to this app, which seems to be a
full-featured open source mail server (based on postfix) that works
out-of-the-box. I played around with it and was fairly impressed.  There
is a VMWare Player virtual machine image you can download to play around
with.

http://www.artica.fr/

Artica for Postfix allows you to install a full solution by one single
command line:

    * Postfix: Main MTA
    * Kaspersky Anti-spam: powerful Anti-spam provided by Kaspersky Inc
    * Kaspersky Anti-Virus
    * Bogofilter: Bayesian anti-spam
    * SPFMilter: SPF Checking application
    * Milter-greylist: Powerfull greylisting daemon
    * SpamAssassin: Open Source Perl Anti-Spam
    * MIMEDefang: Powerfull SMTP toolit
    * Clam Antivirus: Open Source antivirus
    * Amavis: Open Source scanner dispatcher
    * OpenLDAP: Database for main configuration and user management
    * SQLite library: zeroconf sql database engine with high
perfomances.
    * Cyrus-imap: powerfull MDA System
    * Procmail: MDA Filter
    * Fetchmail: Email retreival
    * DnsMasq:DNS forwarder and DHCP server
    * Mailman:Mailing List manager
    * Sieve: End-user mail filters
    * Yorel script: Statistics of yorel
    * QueueGraph: Statistics for postfix
    * MailGraph: Statistics for postfix
    * AWSTats and geoip plugin: Statistics set for postfix
    * renattach: attachments filter
    * NTP: Network Time Protocol
    * pure-ftpd : FTP server using LDAP.
    * Squid : The main proxy server.
    * DansGuardian : URL filtering...
    * Kaspersky For SQUID : antivirus ICAP designed for squid
    * Samba : File server