See:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A61759-2004Jun22.html

"
Large Internet providers typically monitor traffic on their networks and
pinpoint machines that are sending out inordinate amounts of e-mail. When
such machines are found, some Internet providers block their Internet
access until their owners come forward, at which point they are given help
to remove the software code used by the spammers before being reconnected.

  The zombie problem, said representatives of the group, is going largely
unchecked because other Internet providers are not taking such action.

  "We're throwing the gauntlet down," said Ken Hickman, senior mail
director at Yahoo. "We're saying, 'Hey, secure your networks.' "

  The proposal suggests that Internet providers that are quarantining
zombies might reject all mail from networks that are not doing so.

  "If the ISP does not reasonably control abusive traffic, it is at risk of
being blocked by other ISPs," said the group's report.

  "These machines are a security risk," added Brian Sullivan, senior
technical director of mail operations at AOL.

  Mike Jackman, executive director of the California ISP Association,
responded that smaller Internet providers generally do watch their networks
closely and act when they see zombies.

  "They are doing it because it's in their interest to do it," Jackman
said. Spammers "are eating up bandwidth."
"

So ASTA members are suffering as much as the rest of us, and their
recommendatin is to block networks that spew spam and infections from
subscribe IPs direct to our MXs.  Where have we heard this before?

For those of you who refuse (or are technically unable ) to block
subscriber networks by PTR hostname, greylisting is proving to be
incredibly, surprisingly effective.

The subscriber network operator should block access from their networks to
port 25, or we The Victims will/do block access from their networks to our
MXs' port 25.

A reject msg such as "554 Rejected for non-compliance with ASTA guidelines"
would certainly help push the ASTA initiative into the network operators faces.

Len