I'd imagine this would be a nice extension to add to openafs - imagine a
fileserver option change:

instead of

        -implicit rl

have:
        -implicit system:administrators rl system:backup rl ...

similar to the -acl syntax of the fs command.

-- Nathan

Susan Feng wrote:

> Russ Allbery writes:
>
> >Harald Barth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> However the fundamental problem is that the general user (if grasping
> >> the concept of ACLs) probably will remove system:backup and then whine
> >> if no backup is available. Susan's strategy of changing fs is maybee a
> >> solution for that.
> >
> >Yes, it works well for us, although wrapping fs is unfortunately a touch
> >complicated due to the odd option syntax.
> >
> >--
> >Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>
>
> If anybody is interested in the wrapper code, let us know. It's about 80 lines
> of perl script. The idea is if it is not fs set acl command, pass it to
> Transarc's fs, otherwise, insert system:backup rl as one of the acls that the
> user whats to set, and if the user wants to remove system:backup, give
> warnings.
>
> Another note about this, you do need to run fs setacl to put system:backup
> read for all the volumes that had been created before this strategy took
> place. It took a few days to finish for 40,000 volumes we have.
>
> Susan
>
> --
> Susan Feng (aka. Xueshan Feng)
>
> 339 Sweet Hall
> Stanford University, CA 94305-3090
> Phone: 650 723-7490

Nathan Neulinger                       EMail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CIS - Systems Programming                Fax: (573) 341-4216