I agree that this would be nice. However, to do it "correctly"
would require the creation of another type of record in
DNS similar to an MX record for a mail handling machine.
As I understand it (perhaps incorrectly) an effort was made
to do this and was met with some resistance.

Yes, other ways could be devised that do not require modification
of the protocol or RFC. Perhaps even another version of
DNS that simply tracks AFS related services. But that's a new
can of worms isn't it?

Regards,
Earl Shannon
--
Systems Programmer, Computing Services, Information Technology
NC State University.