Hello,

I'd like to export newsgroups into shared mailboxes with Cyrus-NNTP but
several points of imapd.conf and nntpd.conf documentation appear
obscur to me - as a new Linux user.

cyrus-imapd-nntpd has been installed via apt on Fedora 2.

I wish to use the _push_ method, as described in
http://asg.web.cmu.edu/cyrus/download/imapd/install-netnews.html.

I've managed cyrus.conf (telnet localhost 119 works) and set the following lines in imapd.conf - but there are some things I don't understand:

configdirectory: /var/lib/imap
partition-default: /var/spool/imap

partition-news: /var/spool/imap/news
# What is the precise purpose of this directory ?

newsspool: /var/spool/imap/news/articles
# What is the purpose of this directory regarding nntpd ?
# More generally, how to manage both directories ?

# According to http://howtos.linux.com/guides/nag2/x-087-2-nntp.nntpd.shtml:
# "To temporarily store any incoming articles, nntpd also needs a .tmp directory in your news spool.
# You should create it using the following
commands:
# mkdir /var/spool/news/.tmp
# chown news.news /var/spool/news/.tmp ..."
# How to manage it regarding imapd.conf ?

newsprefix: usenet
unixhierarchysep: yes
altnamespace: yes
# I'd like to create top-level mailboxes comparable to
<imap://cyrus.andrew.cmu.edu> ones.
# How to manage altnamespace and more specially newsprefix and the user 'Usenet'to create something like this:

INBOX
Foo1
    |_etc
Foo2
    |_etc
Usenet  # Usenet would appear in bold and italic in Thunderbird
      |_ comp.mail.imap # Usenet/comp.mail.imap
Other users

newspeer: news.mozilla.org news-out.example.com
# One of my peer asks to "open" - its server names are:
# Send To: news-in.example.com
# Accept From: news-out.example.com
# Should both names be written on the newspeer line ?

I don't know how to use nntpd regarding Cyrus. When creating a
mailbox, the connection fails:
localhost.localdomain> sam usenet.netscape.public.mozilla.calendar
anyone lrs
Relais brisé (pipe)

And nothing happens when running cyrfetchnews.

Basically I don't know how to get the feed and hope you could enlighten me.

Thank you very much.

--
kael
---