Ken Murchison wrote:

> John Holman wrote:
> >
> > Ken
> >
> > I do have one query though. Since personal folders and INBOX now exist at
> > the same level for the logged-in user
> > I had expected the same to be true also for "Other Users" - e.g. there
> > might be mailboxes
> >
> > Other Users.Mike.INBOX
> > Other Users.Mike.Saved
> >
> > etc.
> >
> > (There is a similar example on p.7 of RFC2342)
> >
> > However this is not the case - instead the messages in Mike's INBOX are
> > found in  Other Users.Mike
> >
> > Is it worth reconsidering this while the enhancement is still not
> > "official" - or are there theoretical or practical reasons for  the way
> > it's done at present?
>
> No reason, either practical or theoretical, that I can think of right
> now (it just never occurred to me).  I can take a look at the code to
> see if this is feasible.  If it's going to break a lot of other stuff,
> I'll probably skip it for the time being.
>
> In fact, I'll look at this tonight.  I was just about to release a new
> beta with updates to lmtpd, but I'll hold off until I check this out.

I took a look at this and it IS doable (I actually hacked some code),
but it makes the LIST/LSUB code uglier than it already is.  For this
reason, and the fact that Larry and I both feel that most users won't be
sharing their INBOXes, I'm not going to implement this right now.

That being said, if the current behavior is determined to be a violation
of RFC2342 or the people that contracted me to implement the alternate
namespace want this 'feature' or demand for this 'feature' is
overwhelming, then I WILL implement it.

Ken
Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127