On 05/03/10 10:13, Christian Lippka wrote:
Defensive programming, eh? Please don't. (Look up the arguments against it in Bertrand Meyer's OO tome, for example. "Defensive programming appears [...] to cover up for the lack of a systematic approach by blindly putting in as many checks as possible, furthering the problem of reliability rather than addressing it seriously.")
Defensive programming? Please DO! I have yet to find a customer
reported problem that was caused by defensive programming. On the
other side I know (not guess, I know, we have numbers) how many crashes
we already fixed by Defensive programming.

As I already wrote in another mail in this thread, "defensive programming" was probably a bad term, as different people probably understand it to mean different things. To avoid talking past each other here, can you provide an example of how what you call defensive programming has fixed a crash?

-Stephan