On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 8:25 AM Maciej Sobaczewski <so...@php.net> wrote:

> Hi Nikita!
>
> W dniu 05.05.2020 o 15:51, Nikita Popov pisze:
> > Hi internals,
> >
> > I've recently started a thread on resurrecting the named arguments
> proposal
> > (https://externals.io/message/109549), as this has come up tangentially
> in
> > some recent discussions around attributes and around object ergonomics.
> >
> > I've now updated the old proposal on this topic, and moved it back under
> > discussion: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/named_params
> >
> > Relative to the last time I've proposed this around PHP 5.6 times, I
> think
> > we're technically in a much better spot now when it comes to the support
> > for internal functions, thanks to the stubs work.
> >
> > I think the recent acceptance of the attributes proposal also makes this
> > good time to bring it up again, as phpdoc annotations have historically
> had
> > support for named arguments, and this will make migration to the
> > language-provided attributes smoother.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nikita
> >

> I'm on the fence when it comes to the feature itself so I will skip that
> part entirerly but I'd like to draw attention to one more problem. Many
> PHP Manual translations translate the parameter names, too - both in
> text, as well as in the function/method signatures themselves.

Can you give some examples? I checked a bunch of common functions in
ext/standard, DateTime and PDO and all languages except Turkish seem to use
exactly the same argument names as the english manual. Maybe there are
individual runaways?

In any case, the Turkish manual would have to change. It is misleading
anyways, because for each of these ReflectionParameter::getName() would
return the actual parameter name at runtime.