What if Nikita changes the RFC to target PHP 8.1 but proceed with voting
now? If voting passes, the RFC will be pending implementation and the
"news" will start to spread. Brandt will write about it in his blog, Reddit
will have a post about it, etc. and the community will start to spread the
information.
Maybe even include 3-way voting and let people decide which version to
target.

I'm still on the fence whether I like or dislike depredations coming on
8.1, but my guess is that by carring on with the RFC now the information
will be spread and people will know about it.