On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 9:48 AM Theodore Brown <theodor...@outlook.com>
wrote:

> It has just come to my attention that this RFC was rushed to vote
> after less than the minimum two week period required after it was
> brought up on list. Furthermore, discussion was still very active at
> that time - I certainly didn't have a chance to respond to some of
> the emails before voting began.
>
> Joe first announced this RFC on Tuesday, July 28 at 9:47 AM, and the
> vote was started this Monday at 3:41 AM, less than 12 days, 18 hours
> after the announcement. Per the voting rules:

So, 30 hours short of 2 weeks.  I'm going to ascribe good intentions in
trying to get the issue resolved in the minimal timeframe.  The fact active
discussion was ongoing makes this a questionable choice, but in my opinion,
purely on a matter of time, quibbling over 30 hours is splitting hairs.
 Maybe compromise on adding time to the vote end period so that the total
is greater than 4 weeks?

> What should be done to prevent this rule from being violated?

Vigilance.  You're right to raise the concern.  And let's wag a finger over
it at least.  If others agree that it's premature, we can stop the vote,
but I'm not inclined to disrupt the process over such a small variance.

> Also, I still don't understand why this RFC has a special exemption
> to the feature freeze deadline, given that the whole basis for it
> (a supposed lack of consistency) is at best a subjective opinion.

Changing the syntax isn't a feature. It's a refinement.  One of the things
our long release process provides is a chance to be absolutely certain
before we introduce syntax we'll come to regret later.

-Sara