Hi internals,

The heated debate about attribute syntax made me think once again that it
would be valuable to get feedback in the form of votes from the community,
not just from core developers, on RFCs under discussion.

Understandably, the RFC voting process needs to be restricted to carefully
selected people, mostly core developers. But the fact is, this process is a
bit elitist, and fails to represent the community as a whole. A recent
thread <https://externals.io/message/111552> showed that even very active
contributors to OSS are unlikely to ever get a vote.

A project being nothing without its users, it would be nice to know whether
an important change will make them happy or not.

Therefore, I have in mind to develop (time permitting) an experimental
tool, external to the PHP wiki, that would replicate the voting options of
each RFC, but would allow everyone with a GitHub account to vote on the
same options as the original RFC. While the vote results would not directly
affect the wiki's vote results, I guess that this community feedback could
be taken into consideration by wiki voters and help them make an informed
decision.

To be useful, a link to the community voting site would need to be present
in each RFC, ideally some time before the actual voting starts on the wiki.

If popular enough, this tool could offer some analysis capabilities, such
as "what's the vote results from people having at least 100 commits to the
top 1000 packagist projects in the last year?" to help filter out the noise.

Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Benjamin