On Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 09:05:22AM -0500, Derick Rethans wrote:

> Gmail is rejecting emails after we moved the servers without telling us why,
> in enough detail to do anything about it.

I run other mail lists and have had similar problems with gmail recently.

The problem seems to be SPF. This says which IP addresses can be used for
sending email for particular domains. gmail has recently become much stricter.

List emails are sent from php-smtp4.php.net (45.112.84.5).

However the 'From' address is still that of the original sender -- which is OK
for the email that I am replying to as it is
        From: Derick Rethans <der...@php.net>

and the MX for php.net is php-smtp4-ip4.php.net. which has address 45.112.84.5

However I suspect that *this* email (the one that I am typing now) will get
bounced by gmail as my address is: a...@phcomp.co.uk and 45.112.84.5 is not
allowed (by SPF) to send email for phcomp.co.uk.

So: how to fix ?

Make the From: address internals@lists.php.net

The envelope address is already, something like
internals+bounces-122457-addw=phcomp.co...@lists.php.net

This means a fix to whatever list processor that you are using.

Other recommendations:

• MX for lists.php.net is php-smtp4-ip4.php.net.
Change to php-smtp4.php.net.

• SPF for lists.php.net is "v=spf1 a mx a:osu1php.osuosl.org. ip4:45.112.84.5
ip6:2a02:cb43:8000::1102"
Change to "v=spf1 a mx -all"

•• osu1php.osuosl.org. does not seem to exist - so zap it
•• If you make the MX change that I suggest then the
following are redundant: ip4:45.112.84.5 ip6:2a02:cb43:8000::1102
•• -all means no other addresses accepted. gmail started making that implicit in
the last few months, it is this that is causing the current problems.

Once that has settled down you should enable sending email from (& thus to)
IPv6 addresses. This is the way that the world is moving. It is not hard.

Regards

--
Alain Williams
Linux/GNU Consultant - Mail systems, Web sites, Networking, Programmer, IT