Hello internals,

  i'd like to start 5.3 development from 5.2.2 and have 5.2.* only have
security relevant changes and no new features whatsoever.

For the biggest changes i'd like to see the following:
1) Adding PECL/Phar as default extension
2) Add open_filename debug info to streams
3) Add object handler get_debug_info
4) Split E_STRICT into E_STRICT and E_DEPRECATED

a more complete list can be seen here:
http://oss.backendmedia.com/PhP53

Besides 1) all mentioned action points require an API change. The first
point could also be done in 5.2.3.

As soon as we start with 5.3 development we also need to find a way how
to keep track of unmerged changes in 5.2/5.3. Right now a lot of stuff
only happens in 5.2 and eventually gets MFB'ed. An idea is to provide
an easy way to send commits to bugs.php.net and have them as new category
"merge required". Maybe we can have the commit script create a link for
this.

comments welcome
  - but please think before writing
  & only write if you have something to say

Best regards,
 Marcus