Hello Ilia,

Friday, May 4, 2007, 6:54:33 PM, you wrote:

> On 4-May-07, at 11:07 AM, Marcus Boerger wrote:

>> Hello internals,
>>
>>   i'd like to start 5.3 development from 5.2.2 and have 5.2.* only
>> have
>> security relevant changes and no new features whatsoever.
>>
>> For the biggest changes i'd like to see the following:
>> 1) Adding PECL/Phar as default extension

> I really don't think we need phar in core, certainly not enabled by
> default. If someone can make a good case for including it, I'd love
> to hear it.

Easier distributing/deployment of stuff and phar even allows to use the
packed files as is from within the package or unpacked without any
change. We use phar already for pear. Having the extension version that
allows the mentioned untouched unpacking feature would help a lot of
people.

>> 2) Add open_filename debug info to streams

> What would this mean for performance and memory usage of file ops?

An additional malloc and strcpy on opening and an additional free
on closing. We could however limit actual use to --enable-debug builds.

>> 3) Add object handler get_debug_info
>> 4) Split E_STRICT into E_STRICT and E_DEPRECATED

> Seems like a good idea. +1

> So far I don't really see a key reason to move to 5.3, this is a
> significant change requiring us to maintain an additional branch at
> least for a few months. This is not a decision we should make
> lightly, for non-essential reasons. IMHO.

> Ilia Alshanetsky

Best regards,
 Marcus