Stanislav Malyshev schrieb:
> Unless your clients immediately upgrade to php 5.3 this is the case
> anyway for some time (probably measured in years).

Sure. But since PHP4 support is discontinued by the end of this year,
people will have to upgrade to 5.x (or 6) anyway. That would put phar
support in the broad field maybe by mid-year 2008.

> for installer). However, running live app from inside phar is entirely
> different thing.

I fully agree to that. I (currently) see phar as a means of deploying
PHP code. But when people start running PHP apps from a phar, I am sure
that soon some "caching" mechanism will appear that would just extract
the files from the phar to the file system for quicker access - which
again would make phar a great tool for deploying PHP code.

And, if APC becomes more wide-spread in the future, I guess it does not
really matter wether the code is read from filesystem of phar for the
first time, since subsequently the pre-compiled code would be read from
the cache anyway. Thus, I see no serious performance impact even if you
run software from phar, at least when using a bytecode cache.

> That's exactly what I am saying - that in my opinion such format is not
> the best thing PHP software developers could (or should) rely on in many
> scenarios. Putting something in PHP source is a form of endorsement, and
> I think it should be carefully considered if it's ready for all
> scenarios before we do that.

Then, for installation, what other format would you suggest?

I think one advantage of phar is that it is backed by PEAR tools that
one can expect every PHP developer to have on his system. It would be a
good time now to provide some kind of de-facto-standard for deployment
of PHP code, and phar is the best candidate I know for this.

Kind regards,

Stefan

--
 >e-novative> - We make IT work for you.

 e-novative GmbH - HR: Amtsgericht München HRB 139407
 Sitz: Wolfratshausen - GF: Dipl. Inform. Stefan Priebsch

 http://www.e-novative.de