On 5/7/07, Antony Dovgal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 05/07/2007 10:39 PM, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
>> PHP_Archive-based phar archives will no longer work once
>> allow_url_include is off and user streams wrappers are marked as remote.
>>  So, it won't work with 100% of new installations in future PHP versions.
>
> I guess we are solving the wrong problem. We have:
> 1. phar needs script-defined named streams
> 2. Named streams are prohibited by some config option
> 3. Let's pretend this stream is not actually what it is
> 4. Let's create whole new extension for that and put it into main PHP

Exactly what I said in IRC earlier today.
Both problem and solution look weird.

--
Wbr,
Antony Dovgal

Ok just so there's no confusion.. Here's 2 examples why PEAR and phar
are both useful (If you need more detailed examples (file names, etc I
can also draw up something)

1) Phar:
You can use phar for instance if you deploy all your own scripts, etc.
A normal application without third party libraries bundled (Otherwise
of couse you can store your third script in your phar and just make a
new release when the third-script updates) etc. The idea of the phar
is to make it easy to deploy. Which is good.

2) Pear:
Pear has channels which make it really easy to deploy applications
that are depending on different channels (third party scripts) which
make it easy to both install and udpate. You wrap your application in
your package name which you distribute through the SOMENAME.com
channel, then you can also use another channel (the third party
script) by using channel-discover and download/easy update the
third-party scripts using pear upgrade SOMEOTHERCHANNEL.com's package
name.

--
David Coallier,
Founder & Software Architect,