Hi!

I rather prefer to have this class (and related) within the ext/date
extensions. It is the only way to have a consistent and working
date/time API in php. Date/time formatting is part of this API.

That'd be kind of hard to do because it uses ICU infrastructure, which would create dependency from ext/date (used by virtually everybody) to ext/intl (used by much less people and requiring ICU library).

As I can understand the need to have one single extension in this
phase (or the early stage), it would make sense to think about
integrating part of the ICU with the existing PHP extension or
features.

We do it in PHP 6. However this extension (ext/intl) need to work with 5.2, and integrating ICU in 5.2 doesn't seem a good idea to me.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]