Off the top of my head, ICU has this "path" style syntax to query CLDR data. I think that would be pretty important - the data is there, and grabbing it shouldn't be too difficult (can't check right now, but it's something like $locale->getInfo('currencyNames/EUR/long') or whatever).

I also agree on the DateTime thing, and I, too, wonder why we need a procedural API for this - especially since it makes error handling so much easier (exceptions everywhere and done).

David