Ulf Wendel schrieb:
I don't recall why I added "usage not recommended" to the test. Let me check with Georg. He had some concerns on the function as far as I remember.

I checked with Georg. My memories regarding Georg's position are totally wrong. He once introduced mysql_set_charset to the MySQL Client Library (AKA "libmysql" - marketing gets confused when I use libmysql, sorry).

He explained to me that using SET NAMES is what is not recommended when using libmysql because:

 - there is no verification if the client knows the charset
 - the internal mysql->charset field will not be set properly

I don't know how that "usage not recommended" comment has crept in the test. Probably my fault...

Ulf