On 07.08.2008, at 16:29, Hannes Magnusson wrote:

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 16:17, Ulf Wendel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
He explained to me that using SET NAMES is what is not recommended when
using libmysql because:

- there is no verification if the client knows the charset
- the internal mysql->charset field will not be set properly

Is this something we should add to the mysql[i]_set_charset() docs?
I've seen *bunch* of people doing mysql[i]_query("SET NAMES UTF8");...

yes .. most people do it for historical reasons, or because they did not want to clutter their libraries with function_exists() calls.

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]