From: Kevin Waterson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: internals@lists.php.net
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:57:41 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP-DEV] true namespaces, yet another point of view

This one time, at band camp, "jvlad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> May I suggest something in this area?

May I suggest something also.. Lets just let namespaces die and let
it become a repressed memory as it seems it is more trouble that it
is worth. Seriously.

For 10+ years we have got on just fine without them, and the amount
of work to get a second-best implementation that nobody agrees on
hardly seems benificial. The gains of namespaces are minimal at best,
because a few cannot be bothered with some simple prefixing.

PHP 5.3 release is looming, and there is STILL conflict about implementation.
The current approach is a long way from what was thought of as namespace
support and it seems nobody is completely happy with any model that
has been put forward. The current implementation is nothing but a series
of comprimses, each one taking away a little of the functionality that
was first envisaged.

Lets just let it die. It is un-needed, un-wanted by many, and the end
result seems to be less that optimal, or even a true implementation
of namespaces.

Kevin