Tony Bibbs wrote:
I disagree here...it is both wanted and and needed. This feature has been promised to the community for quite some time now and I'd simply remind you you do have the option of *not* using namespaces if you don't want too. If you like REALLY_LONG_CLASS_NAMES that's still perfectly valid. Don't like it, don't use it but I think working through the remaining issues and getting it out is important. Making right decision on the approach is important too and from an outsiders point of view a lot of progress has been made and it now seems very, very close to being a reality. Ditching it should be the last thing considered.
I can't say it enough, if you don't like where the namespace implementation
ends up you can simply decide not to use it.

--Tony

As far as I know, that argument doesn't really fly here, since you might not use it, but in a large PHP project, someone in your team will. "If you don't like it, don't use it" doesn't hold since you still have to understand, and possibly modify, your teammate's code. A similar point was raised, IIRC, for the [1,2] short-array notation. This is particularly important because large codebases, usually with several people touching the code, are the primary target for namespaces, as opposed to short one-person form-processing scripts,.

- Federico