What I am saying is if we accepted even 50% of what people felt very passionate
about because their "favorite language of the day" has it then PHP would become
overly complex, bloated and very challenging for users to pick up. C++ for
example was a good language but is a good example of trying to do too much and
getting overly complex over time (at least in my opinion).

I do think we should have new feature discussions and need to ensure PHP
evolves with the market and its users but have to ensure that we still keep it
simple, easy to adopt and maintainable. Also, I think we do not need 100 ways
of doing the same thing. Choice is good but too much choice is not.

As I said in my previous email, while I think there are areas we can and should
innovate in and evolve the core language I believe a lot of the innovation also
has to happen at the framework and extension-level. I do not think there's a
resource issue at the language level. When a new feature does get slated to be
included we always have plenty of resources deployed on it to harden it and
make sure it gets into the core vm in the right way (it is almost never the
same as the original patch).

I do think having more people work on extensions for some of the up and coming
technologies would be super valuable. Seems like everyone wants to try and get
their favorite language feature in but less are stepping up to work on
extensions. What can you contribute?

Andi