On Thu, 2011-06-16 at 12:26 +0200, Pascal COURTOIS wrote:
> Le 16/06/2011 12:12, Pierre Joye a écrit :
>
> > It is not what Johannes said and we do fix bugs every single day. What
> > Johannes said is that we can't force a volunteer to do something
> > specific instead of what he wants to do.
> >
> > It is also totally off topic btw.
>
>   It is really on topic since letting someone insert his wonderful clever
> feature in a project, whatever it is, and not maintain it is a project
> management problem. PHP makes me think of a ship with tens of stirring wheels.
> Of course no one can be forced to do what he doesn't want but a free
> project doesn't mean unmanaged project and a managed project means
> people with responsibilities.

We are fixing bugs. We don't accept any new feature. Sometimes we might
accept features in order to motivate contributors hoping they also fix
bugs in the future.

And even if the reproduce case is short: Some things in the engine are
hard to fix, need thought and verification. Some things even can't be
fixed within a "bug fix" release (x.y.z+1) as they require API changes
or such.

And then there are cases where severity is valuated differently. There
are things "we" (whomever that includes) don't consider a use case as a
proper/important use case and focus on other issues while it might be
"critical" for few users ...

We're welcoming people providing bug fixes. We'd love having zero bugs.
But life isn't easy. We also welcome people who go through the bug
reports and verify them, simplify test cases etc. This is also work to
be done. We receive quite a few bug reports per day (well not right now
as the system is down :-/ ) most of them aren't bugs but wrong
expectations, many are probably bugs, few are actual easy to verify
bugs. Going through them also costs quite some time.

johannes