On Mon, February 27, 2012 11:38 am, Anthony Ferrara wrote:
> Discussed to death.  Yet only one time before (discussing a specific
> patch)...

Did you go back to the old, old, old PHP list (and was it PHP-dev back
then?), before it split into php-general and php-internals and php-*,
back when there weren't enough users to warrant more than two lists?

You may find more fruitful results there, I think.

Or not.

Did you check the wiki and RFCs that came out of those discussions?

Those are the places where the really serious proposals with patches
developed after the mailing list wrangling.

They all failed, in the end, but those are the ones that actually got
taken seriously, because they had enough specificity to discuss for or
against for technical merit.

The idea has always always had some technical merit.  The
implementation, however, has always failed.

The very strict typing usually failed quickly.

The not so strict typing either failed after a lot of effort, and edge
cases kept cropping up, or ended up being so weak as to not provide
any additional value over the original dynamic typing.

The patches are out there.  The conclusions and technical issues are
out there.  They may be lost in the sea of flame-wars, but they do
exist.

> If you don't like this feature, and you can explain from a TECHNICAL
> perspective why, please do so!  If you don't like the feature, and are
> going to lean on "It's not Java", or "We've discussed this to death
> already", please don't...

Stas has already stated that you can't do what you want and have it
mean anything without changing the very nature of PHP.

I said the same, poorly, and invite you to TRY with a patch instead of
discussing it endlessly here.

> And to be fair: "and you can provide new arguments to the discussion"
> has already happened quite a bit (dating back the past 5 years), but
> those arguments were ignored or overruled for political reasons.

Write the proof of concept patch, please.

Then we can discuss the technical merits or prove why it won't work.

Otherwise, it really is an endless discussion of a dead horse.

--
brain cancer update:
http://richardlynch.blogspot.com/search/label/brain%20tumor