Clint Priest wrote:
I certainly would not want to push through the door a low quality solution, I would never
do that, but I have been working on this project myself for a year and each time I come
back, having addressed the concerns of the last batch of opinions there are a whole new
set of concerns.  It is indeed part of the problem with a project such as this, there is
no "head" to make a decision, only numerous opinions, none of which come to a
consensus.

Perhaps it is an aspect of the medium of using email for this purpose but it really goes
in every direction at once very quickly and nothing is really ever "decided,"
it's quite frustrating.

In the end, I just want everyone to come to a consensus on what this should be
and I will go and finish it and be done with it.  The original property get/set
RFC has been around for over 3 years and PHP is one of the few modern languages
that does not have such a feature.

Do all RFC's need to become 'law' ?
While on one had I can see the rational behind not SIMPLY using the object directly, one of the nicest things in PHP has been the short cut to directly access and update things. Alright it may not be politically correct in some peoples mind, but isn't it time to think 'Why was PHP4 so popular?' ... because it was simple and nothing has changed to stop it doing a job. PHP5 seems to get more and more complex every day ...

Do we need 'reflection' at all?
Do extra hidden things like $o->__getHours() have any place?
Complexity like "public set($value) { ... }" just seem obscene?

I could make a case for 'public readonly setting;' where the public view can't write to 'setting' that just seems a logical progression, but instead of 'strict' mode, how about 'simple' mode and disable anything that is not needed to simply write code ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL