On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:13 PM, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@sugarcrm.com>wrote:

> Hi!
>
> > It's not a syntax change, but it is a very, very large engine change.
> Yes,
> > it does not touch the Zend engine itself, but it adds a large amount of
> new
> > code that is close to the engine. People doing engine changes will need
> > modify it too (thus it is quasi part of the engine, even if it lives in a
>
> I'm not sure how it makes sense - people changing the engine had to
> modify SPL or libxml or SOAP extension, for example - so now SOAP is
> part of the engine? Since engine is underlying API, if you modify the
> engine then you may have to modify extensions, doesn't mean all
> extensions are part of the engine. I find this pretty strained argument.

The difference between SOAP and ZO+ is the level of integration and
dependency. If you do a change in the ZE there is a very high chance that
you will not have to touch any code in SOAP, but you will quite likely need
to adjust something in ZO+. Phar is the only of the current extensions that
comes anywhere close to this. And ZO+ is still a *lot* more tightly
integrated than Phar (and you know what a PITA Phar can be...)

If you don't see that ZO+ is an extension that is very tightly integrated
with the ZE and rather sensitive to change, then sorry, can't help you. To
me this seems obvious.

Nikita