It shouldn't kill any PECL extensions, most certainly not Xdebug.

Ideally I'd like to get Xdebug compatibility for 5.5 - but even if we can't
make it - there's truth to the assertion you wouldn't want them both at the
same time.

Either way - in the long run O+ and Xdebug will *definitely* work together,
and in the short run, you can choose one or the other.  Also, I think
Rasmus said the combo works for him if he loads O+ first and Xdebug later,
so it may not be completely broken at all.  Fwiw, the code it takes to have
Zend Debugger work alongside O+ isn't very complicated and therefore I'm
not at all worried that we'll have a hard time supporting Xdebug.  As the
RFC states - that may require some minor engine changes.

Sent from my tablet