replace “Type Hinting". They are type declarations,
> and they are optional. Thus the name. For the things themselves, they’re
just Type Declarations, to replace “Type Hints".

> > My worry about "optional type declarations" is that once a type is
> > present it isn't optional anymore. Could be confusing and I am unsure
> > if that's any better than a "type hint".
> >
> > If we change it, maybe just call them "type declarations". I think
> > just referring to them as "types" could be too ambiguous.
>
> I agree. Let’s just call them “Type Declarations” then.
> --

I would argue "type declaration" is wrong as well since it is not a type
declaration as it is known in other languages where the type declaration is
binding. IMO it is more a "type check". Consider the following

function foo(Bar $b){
  $b = 1; //$b is not a Bar at all
}