On 25/10/14 17:24, Levi Morrison wrote:
> The reason I bring this up in this discussion is that switching to
> something like Polymer is going to require a few changes on how we
> generate the HTML and CSS. The the best time to refactor code is when
> you are already changing it for something already, so it would be
> better to delay refactoring code until we have some need to change it.

Can I make a simple request ...
Rather than once again pushing yet more ways to render web pages can we
take a look at something which is rather fundamental to good design.
MVC is something which the likes of Zend Framework and other systems
push but seems to be something alien to the php website?

There is a substantial volume of material contained on the website and
none of it is in a format that allows for easy access and more important
searching. Each area has it's own material lost in some different
'favourite package' and currently even a 'search' does not even bring up
- for example - the document sections or bug reports - when one searches
on a wiki page.

What use is a 'refactoring of code' when the whole structure is so badly
broken?

Providing a central 'database' of content such as articles about
meetings, comments on ANY page, drafts for document improvements and so
on will allow people to access that content in many more ways than
currently possible, KEEP old versions of styles of layout if that is
what they want, and allow a much more accessible and growing archive of
material which can be translated as required.

I understand that this brings up another debate on a standard for
maintaining that data, but that is something of a red herring since HOW
people store the data themselves is entirely up to them. It is purely
how the data is accessed which matters here, and there are many existing
standards for that. Much as I detest XML is does provide a very flexible
platform for querying and transferring data with additional cleanly
identified tag such as author, version, and the like. There will be
several 'pet' solutions as to how a central store will be maintained,
and I can almost even see a case for a flat file structure on git? Much
as is currently used for some areas of the site anyway.

Is there any support for at least looking at this?
( Copied back to internals as the mechanisms to support this need the
expertise of people who probably do not follow the webmaster list )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL