Good evening, Internals!

*Disclaimer: *I wanted to bring this discussion inside the internals
mailing list not only because of the fact that the PHP.net website's source
code on GitHub doesn't have issues enabled, but especially because I think
it's part of the PHP environment, just like the spec or the actual C code
itself.

You all know the http://php.net website and it's source code
<https://github.com/php/web-php>. It comes to my attention that this source
code is pretty much a very good example of how *not *to build websites in
PHP — the source code predates the PHP 3 days, but that's just one of the
problems. I'm not go further into the details of the problems we actually
have inside that code, as they are very obvious and the source code speaks
for itself — of course, if needed, we can discuss this in more detail later.

What I wanted to know from you is: would it be interesting if we started a
complete rewrite of the website, not only for actually improving it, but
also for making it serve as a reference for people to see how the PHP
environment has evolved and what are the good practices we use these days
for building websites?

Cheers!

Daniel Ribeiro
http://danielribeiro.org