> On 25 Nov 2014, at 08:33, Dmitry Stogov <dmi...@zend.com> wrote:
>
> May be I misunderstood something, but why to introduce unicode escapes if PHP
> engine doesn't support Unicode.

We don't have Unicode strings which are made of codepoints rather than bytes,
sure. But we do usually treat these strings as UTF-8. The idea of doing this in
a language without Unicode strings isn't new, C/C++ have the u8"" syntax for
making UTF-8 strings.

> Always converting such escapes into UTF-8 encoding, doesn't make any sense
> for people who use other encodings for output, databases, etc.

If you're using other encodings, why do you want to use a Unicode codepoints?
Most Unicode codepoints will not supported by another character set.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/