Hi Matteo,

> On 16 Dec 2014, at 07:52, Matteo Beccati <p...@beccati.com> wrote:
>
> On 16/12/2014 05:07, Xinchen Hui wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 16, 2014 at 8:09 AM, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:
>>> Good evening,
>>>
>>> There has been some debate about whether to make “PHP 5.7". I have made a
>>> very simple RFC. It proposes a final minor version of PHP 5, PHP 5.7, to be
>>> released at the same time as PHP 7, with no new features whatsoever.
>>>
>> I am wondering why we need that?  no new features....
>>
>> I think we can extend 5.6 release cycle to avoid that..
>
> I tend to agree with Xinchen here. A new minor release just to introduce a
> few deprecation messages? It sounds like a lot of work (it also need to be
> maintained) for little gain.

There should be very little work necessary. Deprecations are easy, and the
changeset from 5.6 should be tiny at best. The only significant extra work is
the added year of maintenance for the PHP 5 line.

> I think that doesn't also match the plans of other (accepted?) RFCs that were
> targeted for 5.7. I think I've seen it many times.

Could you tell me which RFCs targeted 5.7 and didn’t just add deprecation
notices? I’m unaware of any.

Thanks.
--
Andrea Faulds