Hey Nikita,

> On 20 Jan 2015, at 21:46, Nikita Popov <nikita....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 9:54 PM, Marc Bennewitz <dev@mabe.berlin> wrote:
>
>> valid for call_user_func[_array] and callable type-hint but invalid for
>> for direct variable calls:
>> - string "MyClass::staticFunc"
>> - string "self::staticFunc"
>> - string "static::staticFunc"
>> - string "parent::func"
>> - string "parent::staticFunc"
>>
>> see http://3v4l.org/1oSO3
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>>

> I would prefer deprecating this alternative notation instead of adding more
> support for it. The [$class, $method] form is the canonical form we support
> everywhere and which is consistent with the [$obj, $method] callbacks.
> There's no point supporting another alternative notation, especially if it
> was effectively unusable for a while now already.

By the way, this notation is also used by constant() and defined():

$ php -r 'class Foo { const FOO = 3; } var_dump(constant("Foo::FOO"),
defined("Foo::FOO"));'
int(3)
bool(true)

It’s also very intuitive compared to the function syntax. I see no reason we
shouldn’t support it more widely.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/