Hi again,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Wilmas"
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Hi Dmitry, all,

Help me understand this. :-) It's been more puzzling to me recently since just coming to the part of optimizing traditional ZPP (sharing part with FAST_ZPP...).

With the FAST_ZPP inline macros, why is there a Z_PARAM_ZVAL and Z_PARAM_ZVAL_DEREF? It seems the zpp 'z' specifier is always like ZVAL_DEREF, right? So Z_PARAM_ZVAL has no equivalent in traditional zpp. At the very least, this would seem to suggest a difference in behavior/functionality. But I haven't found any (or bug reports, if tests didn't cover something).

Oops! No, plain zpp 'z' does not have ZVAL_DEREF() applied, of course. But it's also using zend_parse_arg_zval_DEREF(), which is wrong... (in the case of "z!" with reference to IS_NULL?).

At first I assumed Z_PARAM_ZVAL would keep IS_REFERENCE types, since it doesn't do ZVAL_DEREF(), but this obviously isn't happening with references. (It seems they're getting DEREF()'d in VM when sending params, I guess...?)

Still stands though that IS_REFERENCE doesn't seem to get through anyway (and would break functions). Is any ZVAL_DEREF() *not* necessary?

- Matt