Hi Dmitry,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dmitry Stogov"
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Hi Matt,

On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 9:00 PM, Matt Wilmas <php_li...@realplain.com>
wrote:

Hi again,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Wilmas"
Sent: Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Hi Dmitry, all,

Help me understand this. :-)  It's been more puzzling to me recently
since just coming to the part of optimizing traditional ZPP (sharing part
with FAST_ZPP...).

With the FAST_ZPP inline macros, why is there a Z_PARAM_ZVAL and
Z_PARAM_ZVAL_DEREF?  It seems the zpp 'z' specifier is always like
ZVAL_DEREF, right? So Z_PARAM_ZVAL has no equivalent in traditional zpp.
At the very least, this would seem to suggest a difference in
behavior/functionality. But I haven't found any (or bug reports, if tests
didn't cover something).

Oops!  No, plain zpp 'z' does not have ZVAL_DEREF() applied, of course.
But it's also using zend_parse_arg_zval_DEREF(), which is wrong... (in the
case of "z!" with reference to IS_NULL?).

Sorry. I don't understand you without context. If you think something is
wrong in current implementation - please, demonstrate it with test cases,
examples or code references. If you talk about your code, then show it.

Sorry, thought I gave enough context and code references! I can't demonstrate with a test case, which is why I'm asking about it. :-)

No, not my code changes (you'll have plenty of code to see soon). I'm fine replicating the current logic exactly, as I have, but the logic of these couple parts doesn't make sense, to me. Let me try to simplify with couple examples...

Look at e.g. is_numeric() or strpos() (needle). Plain zval param parsing, so NO ZVAL_DEREF() occurs (FAST_ZPP or traditional). These 2 example functions don't handle IS_REFERENCE type, so they would break.

Or is there no way for them (or any function?) to get a IS_REFERENCE? Then *why* is there ZVAL_DEREF() in param parsing functions? We could remove it!

Which is it...?

Thanks. Dmitry.

Thanks,
Matt