Arnd,

>re "no problem to solve":

This should be considered as a "political statement", but the truth is
that _authentication_ is the major security application since at least
30 years back.

>I wouldn't suggest to introduce digital signatures in areas where you can
>live well without. But I think I get about one signed document per day, and
>sign about one. I believe that some day we should be able to save costs by
>doing that electronically.

Server-signatures is a snap.  Go to https://buyer.x-obi.com/BuyerASP/buyer
and try out OBI (Open Buying on the Internet) Express, by signing purchase
orders, and receive signed invoices after a short registration procedure.

But client-signatures require things that are not affordable, standardized,
and generably available.

Regards
Anders Rundgren