Hi Joel,

You are right about Web Services and hype.  It is though important
to define what time-scales we are talking about.
The time-scale for an OASIS-standard is around 18 months
and during that period some of the missing WS-pieces will be solved
as they are already in draft.  Like WS-Security.  But that's my
view, it must be an _independent consortium_ to develop this.

The priciples however, can be put on paper (and in temporary
code) _today_.

I think the "business requirements" and it implications on the
technical platform is important to discuss as all solutions have
some problems actually.  The _ideal_ solution requires local
SW which I have removed from _my_ "business requirements".
I think that replacing the whole need for local software by
requiring the user to specify "ANYBANK.COM" is a small
price to pay, particularly as it opens the door to _other_
payment systems that actually are _much_ more popular than
VISA and MasterCard.  This is the case outside of the US.
If an on-line direct-payment system does not support that,
it will not become mainstream as a lot of business still
is local even on the Internet.  But of course supporting
other payment systems, is _not_ in the interest of the
card-brands, but for the other three players: banks,
merchants and consumers.

>I would be interested to know what you mean by 'web services paradigm'.  Do
>you mean SOAP/WSDL/UDDI?

Essentially yes.  Although with the DNS twist that does the real change.

>I don't agree with you that web services (however you define it) provides
>more 'extensibility, robustness, extreme low-cost,

Robustness1 & Extensibility: A protocol that does Service Discovery
(using UDDI or similar) can dynamically adapt to a partners' capability.
   http://buyer.x-obi.com/BuyerASP/wsdfaq.html
3D's static model is a true dead-end in my opinion.

Robustness2: user-specified DNS instead of "fragile" URLs stored
in a centrally managed brand-directories that are _entirely_ redundant.
   http://www.x-obi.com/OBI400/UDDI-and-DNS-OBIX-2002.pdf

Low-cost: The basic stuff is for free through the Apache foundation
and .NET run-time I assume will be free as well.

Anders