somewhat related to SSL certificate threads from last month:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay10.htm#78
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay10.htm#79
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay10.htm#81
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay10.htm#82
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aepay10.htm#83

http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/03/01/21/207244.shtml?tid=93

Posted by Cliff on Tuesday  January 21, @05:05PM from the
doing-it-on-our-own dept.

bcg asks: "It has come that time again to renew some of my SSL certificates
and part with substantial amounts of cash. This has got me thinking - why
should we pay large amounts of cash for authorized certs when so little is
done by the companies issuing them? Sure they get you to send them a copy
of a business certificate but how does this prove the character of those
running the SSL server? What ideas can we come up with for a
self-regulating certification authority? Could we set something up along
the lines of the many free DNS servers around but use it to authenticate
SSL certs?" We last touched on this subject in October, when someone was
searching for cheap SSL certs. We've also discussed why certs are so
expensive. Why not take it one step further and discuss ways of making and
authenticating our own certs for free...or as close to free as possible?

--
Internet trivia, 20th anniv: http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/rfcietff.htm