I, like you perhaps, hear of a number of programs that I would love to listen
to, if only I had the time to actually sit down in one place for a set time and
just listen.  Most radio listening takes place in the car or while doing other
things that allow freedom for the ear, but not the eyes and hands.  Podcasts
permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually any
convenient occasion.  My “primetime listening” has become my (almost) daily
exercise regime—walking as briskly as I can in my own and surrounding
neighborhoods for several miles.  Without access to podcasts/radio program
listening, I would soon lose interest in the physical activity no matter how
good it is for my health.  Hence, “Podding Along”.

Apart from the originating program’s web site, most programs are made available
through any number of other amalgamation sources such as iTunes and TuneIn.

——

“Agrippina the Younger”
IN OUR TIME - BBC Radio 4
Agrippina the Younger was one of the most notorious and influential of the
Roman empresses in the 1st century AD. She was the sister of the Emperor
Caligula, a wife of the Emperor Claudius and mother of the Emperor Nero.
Through careful political manoeuvres, she acquired a dominant position for
herself in Rome. In 39 AD she was exiled for allegedly participating in a plot
against Caligula and later it was widely thought that she killed Claudius with
poison. When Nero came to the throne, he was only 16 so Agrippina took on the
role of regent until he began to exert his authority. After relations between
Agrippina and Nero soured, he had her murdered. (43”)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b074yzwk

“’BBC Trust chair Rona Fairhead, 'Tips' when interviewing will.i.am, Press
freedom v privacy”
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
- Some weeks ago, Sir David Clementi said the current regulatory model of the
BBC Trust, was 'flawed and that a unitary board should run the BBC. Since then,
John Whittingdale, the culture secretary, has said if board members were
appointed by the government, that this would not compromise the independence of
the BBC. However, the current chair of the BBC Trust, Rona Fairhead, has
concerns. Steve Hewlett talks to her about whether the Clementi model is really
the best model, the importance of the BBC retaining its independence, and why
she thinks the White Paper on the future of the BBC, initially due out in
March, needs to be published as soon as possible.
- A three page list of "tips for maximising your interview time" with the
popstar will.i.am were given to journalists interviewing him recently,
dictating what can and cannot be discussed, and offering advice for when to ask
the most important questions. Is this level of involvement from celebrity PRs
helpful or meddling in journalism? Steve Hewlett talks to Telegraph writer
Harry Wallop who was the recipient of the 'tip' checklist.
- The Sun on Sunday has lost a court battle to print a story about a
celebrity's alleged threesome on the grounds their children deserve protection.
It's raised concerns amongst press freedom advocates that this defence will be
used by claimants more frequently, and offer those with children carte blanche
to act in any way they want, with immunity from press coverage. Steve Hewlett
discusses the issues with lawyers Sara Mansoori from Matrix Chambers and Mark
Stephens from Howard Kennedy. Plus, editor of the Press Gazette Dominic
Ponsford explains his concerns about the potential impact on journalism.  (30”)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b075mdvw

Good listening!

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide"
New 7th edition now available from Universal Radio, Amazon and W5YI.com