Location: TBA (Jamaica)
Date: 22.–24.6.2017
Deadline: 19.12.2016

Jamaican Rastafari coined the neologism “livity” to denote a
particular “way of life,” a righteous “way of life.” Comprehensive in
scope, livity can refer to dietary habits, personal aesthetics,
and/or the various beliefs, whether secular or metaphysical, that
guide our actions in the everyday lifeworld. An unreservedly
normative concept, livity concerns our daily existence as well as our
most fundamental relationships – specifically, our relationships with
nature, other human beings, and the divine, broadly conceived.

The concept of livity calls into question the hegemonic conception of
freedom – a largely colonial conception – which has been articulated
and practiced in terms of hyper-individualism, insatiable
acquisitiveness, and the will to domination. This is of particular
salience in the modern Caribbean, which has been shaped by conquest,
slavery, global capitalism, and the neoliberal turn as well as
abolition, political independence, and the ongoing struggle for
decolonization. To equate “liberation” or “emancipation” with this
conception of freedom, therefore, belies the complexity of the
decolonial project and risks further colonization.

We encourage proposals that explore these themes – livity and freedom
– and we invite, as always, individual and panel proposals that
otherwise reflect our commitment to “shift the geography of reason.”
Submit your proposals online at http://caribphil.org/cpa-2017.html by
Monday, December 19th and please include the full name, email
address, institutional affiliation, and paper title of each potential
participant. (Proposals from independent scholars are also
encouraged.) Questions about this conference should be directed to
caribphil2...@gmail.com. Additional details, including specific dates
and location, are forthcoming.

Conference website:
http://www.caribbeanphilosophicalassociation.org/cpa-2017.html