There was also the whole Mercurial debate not too long ago.

The consensus was that I liked Mercurial, and everyone else liked git. :)

Moving off svn is a no-brainer in 2013...it's old and busted. Git is fine, and my experience is that most people don't want just a git repo, they specifically want GitHub (and those that don't want GitHub...hey, you still get a standard git repo from it!).

Also: this is where id software has their canonical repos for their open source releases, now, too.

Also: as I'm sure you've discovered recently, keeping Gitorious running is a big pain in the ass. :) I don't know what zakk wants to do with iodoom3, but if we're going to make a switch for ioquake3, we might as well go to a nice infrastructure that someone else keeps up and running for us.

--ryan.