You're right, Apple has follow Google Chrome path in its "HTTPS for all" quest.

Thing is, geolocation is a user personal data, so it is not something totally
unfair or stupid move they did here. Note that LetsEncrypt offers free ssl
certificates you can jnstall very easily on your server tru NPM, and shared
hosting companies like OVH did install this free certificate for all its
customers websites for free.

Also, we (as developers) have been warned about this for at least a year now,
and still can use this API while developing since this limitation does not
occur on "localhost" domain name.

A real PAI if you're not already on a https hosting service or do not maintain
it, but all in all it's not such a bad thing for the user...

My 0,02€,

Remi