Hi-
  I sat in on the ipng( should I saw IPv6) wg discussion today and heard some talk
about different ways to do auto discovery of DNS. I don't know if anyone has already
suggested this, but why not extend ICMP to support auto DNS discovery. It would be
much like the router soliciation or net mask ICMP message pairs. I host sends out an
ICMP dns request message and the recipient (broadcast or unicast) sends a reply with
the name/ip addr(s) of the DNSs it knows about.
  I would argue in favor of an ICMP extension over DHCP or anyother scheme requiring a
server in the network since ICMP is already EVERYWHERE and this extension would
require little work.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul Tasillo